Every once in a while, a portion of a script from Raw or SmackDown will hit the web, giving fans a glimpse at what the WWE Superstars are given before they do the talking and wrestling we see on our screens each week.
WRITER’S IN-RING PROMO CHECKLIST
RE-WRITING PROMOS AT TV:
- PROMO BULLET POINTS
- B-Team welcome everyone to the BBQ // Show off the various food items
- B-Team say that they are next in line for the RAW Tag Team Titles
- Titus and Slater confront B-Team about their claim
- Titus starts food fight which ends with B-Team putting Rhyno through a table
- WHAT IS THE PREMISE // DOES THE PROMO MAKE SENSE (as a STAND-ALONE and in SHOW TOTALITY)?
- TELL A STORY: MAKE IT ENTERTAINING // GRAB THE AUDIENCE’S ATTENTION // BIG FINISH
- DO NOT CHANGE TENSES
- REHEARSE YOUR SEGMENT BACKSTAGE and if required, IN THE ARENA BEFORE DOORS – if for whatever reason you can’t rehearse in the arena then COMMUNICATE THIS ASAP (BEFORE your segment airs)
- CHECK THE LATEST DRAFTS for the LATEST CHANGES
- EXECUTE VKM NOTES/DIRECTION – if you find any notes do not “work” during in-arena rehearsals or while producing the segment backstage, then COMMUNICATE ASAP (BEFORE your segment airs)
- TIME THE PROMO (TALENT SHOULD NOT ADLIB)
- PROPS, PRODUCERS, TRUCK – EVERYBODY needs to be on the SAME PAGE
HEADSET / GORILLA CUES
- TELL KD / VKM AND KIDMAN IF YOU THINK YOUR SEGMENT IS GOING TO RUN HEAVY (BEFORE the segment starts)
- SPEAK CLEARLY so KD // VKM can HEAR YOU
- STAY AHEAD OF CUES (REPEAT YOURSELF IF NECESSARY): MIC PLACEMENT // MUSIC CUES // ORDER OF ENTRANCES, etc…
- NOTE any SPECIAL CAMERA SHOTS or specific BLOCKING
- GIVE the LAST LINE and MUSIC TO HIT ON THE OUT
- WHO GOES OVER IN THE MATCH (if applicable)
- MUSIC NEEDED
- PROMO / INTERVIEW
It is an interesting reminder of how much goes into every match and scene we see on Monday and Tuesday nights, and possibly Vince McMahon’s method for making it happen the way he wants it to.
Sir Mitch Says: WWE is overscripted to death!